Wearables and smartphones work on similar technology having different Operating Systems. These both gadgets are interlinked depending on their Operating Systems. If you have an Apple Watch, you won’t be able to able to connect it to an Android device considering how Apple makes their products. Such strong Ecosystem, you see.
Although an Apple Watch can’t be connected to an Android smartphone is a theoretical way, you can as well do it if you ask me. Also, only selected iPhone models are compatible with the Apple Watch. As said earlier that you can actually connect your Android device to your Apple watch, it again depends on the model of the Apple Watch that you actually have.
The high-end variant of the Apple watch has another way of communicating with your Android device other than Bluetooth connectivity. All the higher priced versions of the Apple Watch have LTE connection so that you can always stay connected with your device for receiving phone calls, and messages. These work even when your phone gets disconnected from your watch.
This certain feature helps us in connecting an Android device with the Apple Watch to get some basic features. So, let’s get started with how to do this.
First things first, you’ll be needing the following:
- An unlocked Apple Watch with LTE
- Unlocked Android smartphone including an iPhone 6 or later model
- A SIM ejector tool
You can simply contact your SIM carrier to know the details if your device is unlocked or not.
- So first, you’ll need to connect your iPhone to the Apple Watch. After connecting, you’ll have to connect to your watch with the carrier’s LTE with the SIM that you will be putting in your Android phone.
- Once your Apple Watch is finished setting up, switch off all the three devices that you have.
- Next, use the SIM ejector tool to remove the SIM from the iPhone and insert the same SIM into the Android device.
- Once done and rebooted, check whether your Android device is successfully connected to the carrier network.
- Now, turn on your Apple Watch and you’ll now see that your Android device is connected and the Apple Watch is connected to your carrier.
- You will now be able to receive calls and more on your Apple Watch although you are using an Android device as your primary device.
Functions you can expect
After setting up your Apple Watch successfully, all the installed apps on your watch will be able to update themselves over the LTE connection. But still, some of the apps that truly need an iPhone might malfunction and not work as expected.
Also, making and receiving calls is easier, the same is not the case when receiving text messages. Because Apple’s iMessage uses a different format for sending and receiving text messages while Android uses the standard SMS texts.
Another down point is that, since you do not have access to an iPhone, it is quite difficult to keep your Apple Watch up to date in terms of software.
Even though this might seem a great idea to use an Apple watch with your device, it is not that friendly as it seems. Technically, they are still incompatible but you are connecting in a practical way. And, the constant use of LTE by your Apple Watch will result in a battery drain of the watch. As good as it seems to use them this way, it is not that friendly either.
So, if you are a true Android lover, consider buying a Wear OS smartwatch which will let you have many features to yourself. What did you find interesting about this? Let us know in the comments section below.